Monday, May 14, 2012

Language is funny, sometimes

After a quick walk today, I was amazed by the name of a company here, it is called "Computas" but the same in Spanish would be rather rude. Better avoid it ;)



The thing is that Spanish and Norwegian languages have not so much in common. I can hardly recognize any common language root in a few words. The Latin influence is not so visible here, where the Vikings came from.

Another example, the word "asko" is very similar to the Spanish one "asco", and the pronunciation is exactly the same. The meaning in Spanish is "ugly". Maybe not a good choice for this company if they want to sell their food in Spain.

Catering services in Oslo
Apart from that, the language seems clear and contains open vowels, not like English with so many different accents. That should be an advantage, shouldn't it?

At this time of the day, it's almost 11 PM and I can still see some light on the sky. It's amazing how the day is so long. Sometimes I wake up when I feel the daylight, but it is still 5AM in the morning, so I have to make an extra effort to go back to sleep. Even during the night the sky is not completely dark and you can hardly see any start over it.

I am not sure about the winter in here, with 5 hours of daylight. You have to be brave to carry on with your daily life on winter. Only vikings do :)

No comments:

Post a Comment